Sunday, August 13, 2006

thumbnail

Who are your friends ...


I write this with some small amount of trepidation, as I do not want to come across as an elitist in any way - but I feel that is worth saying - and perhaps more importantly, worth hearing.

As the old saying goes - "You will never soar like an eagle if you're hanging out with turkeys".
Well, that can often present a problem in the martial arts - no, not like you think - it's not so much that there are too many 'turkeys' in the martial arts industry , as I suspect there are turkeys in every industry and you'll find them wherever you are - but rather, I do find that martial artists can be a rather 'loyal' bunch, and sometimes this loyalty (a fine trait) can be misplaced - forcing us to hold on when at times it makes more sense just to 'let go!'

I learned a long time ago - to a large extent, each of us is somewhat a product (wrong word but you know what I mean) of that group of people with whom we spend out time. My advice is this - not new advice by any means - but be careful who you spend your time with .... surround yourself with like-minded people - positive people - people who are interested in bettering themselves through learning and application - people who are not afraid to take risks - people who know the true meaning of the much bandied 'win-win' - people who are uplifting rather than down-pulling - people who will acknowledge your accomplishments and not see accomplishment as competition - people who see the 'big picture' - people who know you for the person you are and not just the person that the world sees - people who support, share, love and live life to the fullest. These are the people we all should learn to recognize and allow into our lives - you cannot help but benefit by being in their company.

I have a variety of friends - martial arts friends, business friends, family friends, fishing friends; all have something great to offer. But here's the harsh bit (please do not think less of me) - life is short, time is too precious - sometimes we need to move on (or away) from spending time with those people who are not a good and positive influence in our lives. It's not their fault - it;s often just who and where they are in that point in time.

Anyways - to finish on a positive note - it is no co-incidence that I surround myself with positive people and find that positive things keep happening in my life. People often comment to me that I seem to know lot of 'way cool' people, or succesful people - or amazing martial artists, etc - beleive me, it is no co-incidence. It is all about the choices we make.
Good training - choose wisely!
JBW

PS; The added pic is of yours truly accepting an award from Chuck Norris recently in the USA.

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.