PREVAIL ...


One of the most common questions I am asked by students during the Q&A time that follows most of my seminars is 'How would you describe what you do?' (Ie: what do I do for a living?)

This is a question that I could spend hours answering - but if I had to distill my answer down to a single sentence, it would be this:
I TEACH PEOPLE TO PREVAIL!
For me, the martial arts are a metaphor for life; they are about struggle; and about overcoming obstacles and dealing with pressure. At their very core, the martial arts are about prevailing against physical assault; but beyond this, they are about prevailing against all kinds of obstacles and adversity. Highly physical and challenging arts like BJJ, Kickboxing, etc - see us dealing with real pressure on a regular basis; and becasue of this, provide us with the will and mindset to deal with the myriad of pressures that life throws our way.

BJJ,in particular, demands that we 'lose', try again, 'lose', try again, until we work it out. The study of BJJ provides the perfect environment for both mental and physical strengthening. The study of BJJ provides an opportunity to develop a mastery of leverage and the ability to 'problem solve' - and these skills are easily brought to bear in life off the mat.

What do I do for a living? I teach people to PREVAIL.

JBW

Comments

Anonymous said…
Many "masters" and masters of martial arts talk about martial arts as a way of life. Your description is one of the simplest (and I mean that positively) AND most comprehensive at the same time. Thank you.
AnnT said…
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. – Sir Winston Churchill

Popular Posts