Australia Day

My Australia day began with the teaching of two private classes first thing. After that I headed down to the secluded warehouse where I do my strength and conditioning work. The session was a tough one: we did intensive 20 second sets of work followed by a ten second rest for a total of 15 exercises. After a one minute break, this whole thing was repeated three more times - making for a total of 60 twenty second work periods. Then it was back home for some protein and an hours recovery nap.
A few chores completed this afternoon, e-mails, a bit of reading and some more food – now it’s time to head into class and hook up with the keenest of students who make the big effort to come to class on Australia’s biggest public holiday. If they are that keen – then I need to be there. I am looking forward to seeing who turns up.
Best wishes all – and to fellow Aussies. HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!
JBW

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just bought an adjustable kettlebell. I am in the process of learning how to do a Turkish get up.
Have you included that in your program?
It is not easy, but probably not for you. I am the same age. what a good example you are setting for us old blokes.
JBW said…
Good Job ... the turkish get-up is a good all round exercise - but if I were you I would look into the tabata-protocol and design an intensive workout around that idea. The simplest way to do it is to pick eight different exercises - strung together in such a way as to not overly tax any single muscle group - and nbit each exercise for 20 seconds, giving yourself a ten second rest before kicking off with the next exercise. After you've gone through this - maybe every day for the first week; you want to start amping things up by doing it, having a minute rest and repeating 3,4, 5 or 6 times as you begin to adapt to it. Even at six times through, you are still keeping your workout under half an hour. But it is intense. At that level - you may only want to do it three times a week - giving yourself time to recover. Eat well, have protein within ten minutes of finishing your workout to aid recovery.
There are plenty of people to help you with this - far more qualified than I. But best of luck.
JBW
Anonymous said…
thanx...adding an anerobic component to exercises is a great idea.
I do hindu squats
Here is a guy incorporating the tabata protocol into squating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcNzEFr7yA&feature=fvw
I'll definately give it a go.
Look forward to your next blog.

Popular Posts