Thursday, November 12, 2015

thumbnail

Shapers ...

Each of us is shaped.
Through the course of our lives, most of us are exposed to hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands of other human beings - each one adding something to the incredible mosaic that underpins who we are.
Our parents are the first to leave their mark upon us - along with our siblings; and so we are ‘roughed out’ and given shape enough to make our way into the world. It is then, as we walk among others, we begin to take a pro-active role in choosing those we spend our time with. Sometimes by chance, others times by choice, we meet people who have a deep, profound and lasting effect on who we are; on how we see the world, on how we distinguish ourselves from others.
In my own case, I can think of many people who have left their mark on me; who contributed significantly to the person I am today … but only a small few who shifted my world view; whose influence was profound and dramatic. I have just recently re-connected with someone who influenced me in my early twenties; someone who inspired, educated and amazed me at every turn. I feel so privileged to have spent so much time in his company; I can ‘feel’ , more than ‘remember’ , how strongly I wanted to be like him, when I grew up. This particular person came to visit me when I was in hospital last week; and I came to the realisation that perhaps my early ‘aspirations’ had actually come to pass … his wife (a beautiful and highly talented human being) commented that we were like two peas in a pod - I have to admit, unknowingly, she had given me one of the best compliments I have ever had.  For those of us who have the privilege of meeting and spending time with such ‘shapers’ - take the time to let them know how meaningful they are to you. Life is short - stuff gets in the way. But such people ‘deserve’ to know. 

Simon Buttonshaw - you are a man apart. Thank you for being you. Much love -  JBW

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.