I know my lane …

I find it both humbling and exciting in owning up to being ignorant of things outside the narrow parameters of my ‘lane’. 

Even within my own field of competence, there are many unique approaches and perspectives that I know little to nothing about. This is a wondrous thing. It motivates me to keep improving.


On the martial arts landscape, there is prevalent culture of ‘let’s fake it till we make it’; that holds people back from fully unlocking their true potential. My perspective is that we just don’t have enough time to be bullshitting other people, let alone ourselves.


I have a pretty good understanding of the concepts, techniques and strategies that go into forming the meta-structure of that thing we call Jiu Jitsu; but have I explored every branch? No, of course not; how could I? And with new branches shooting off in new directions, on almost a daily basis, it is a full-time task to keep abreast of developments. It’s challenging to say the least.


Wander here, there and everywhere; get to know a little about the wider landscape, for sure … but also, know your lane; know what you can bring to the table when it really counts; and also, know where you fall short. “Fake it till you make it” - is the credo of the insecure. 

Comments

Popular Posts