More or less ...

One saying that I don’t favor too much is the old “Practice makes perfect’ – in my view it would better read ‘Practice makes permanent’ – in other words, you get really good at what you do a lot; do something badly, a lot, and you get really good at doing it badly.
Once we get something working correctly,only then is it time to push out the reps. But get it right first; whether it’s an exercise, a technique or even a strategy.
At different times of our lives, we invest more or less time into different things. My own OCD-style of learning, usually necessitates deep immersion. When I first stumble across something that piques my interest, I usually jump right in, analyse it to death, try to get it right, then spend loads of time on it until life, or something else that piques my interest, drags me off it.
There are though, some negatives of over-indulging in repetition. There was a time in the 80’s, when I used to get up in the morning and do 1000 pushups, 1000 kicks and 1000 punches – all before lunchtime. Yikes! Now the benefit of this approach, (big numbers) is that you really work out the most efficient way to do that thing – numbers cut away excessive movement – they ‘trim the fat’ from the activity and leave you with ‘efficiency’. That’s the good part. The bad part is that there is little avoiding the negative aspects of ‘wear and tear’.
Still – I doubt very much that I will change – not at least, any time soon. For what it’s worth …
JBW

Comments

Popular Posts