Just for the sake of it …

Some people, many people in fact, seem to need a clear, concrete reason to train, to be fitter, to stick to their diet … perhaps something along the lines of ‘I am training three times a week so I can win an upcoming competition’ – or lose this amount of weight, etc. I DO NOT!
Although it’s certainly okay to have goals to work toward – but if these goals are the only reason we are doing the work, then what happens when we achieve those goals – what happens to our motivation.
For myself, I like to train just for how it makes me feel, for the intrinsic value that I get from it whilst doing it. I like to eat well and work on my fitness just for how it makes me feel; not because I am trying to hit a certain weight, look a certain way or get ready for a particular event. I like learning, just for the sake of it; for how it changes the way I think; not just because I have to pass an exam, etc. I like improving myself just for the sake of it; the fact that I get certain other ancillary benefits is a total bonus.
It’s a great thing to be able to find joy in the simple doing of things. A big part of what it takes to be happy.
JBW

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi,
I've bookmarked your blog about a year ago and follow it every week.

We have great jiu jitsu instructors in cape town, but not any (that ive met) black belts.

This is great, many thanks and keep it up!

Chris
Unknown said…
Hi,

I've bookmarked your blog about a year ago and follow it regularly.

We have great jiu jitsu instructors here in cape town, but not any (that I've met) black belts.

Great blog, keep it up and many thanks!

Chris

Popular Posts