Journal up ...

I have long-since developed a habit of keeping training journals. I keep various training journals – I have training journals for my seminars, in which I lay out my seminar plan - and I amend, add to or subtract from it, during the actual seminar. This allows me to better plan the next seminar for my return visit; I can go over the notes I made on the last subject matter we covered and how the students coped with it. I also keep training journals for some of my private students – it helps me keep track of what we have done, where they are in the development of their game, what they need to cover in the future – etc. And, I keep notes on my own training – things I need to look at in the future – random ideas, thoughts, new techniques – and novel approaches to teaching that I might want to try out. I still have old ‘personal training journals’ that date back to the mid-80’s. I rarely refer back to them though, as the main benefit was to be had in the note-taking itself. When we take notes, or scribble and draw – we have to process information differently in our mind. Before we describe something in words, we need to think about it, to go over the ‘process’ in our minds-eye – and it is this value that get from keeping a journal. Of course if my wife reads this – she will have a strong argument for clearing out my bookshelf. Yikes. Seriously though, I encourage everyone to keep a training journal. It doesn't have to be elaborate – it may only consist of scribbling down a few words chosen to trigger a memory – it can be highly descriptive – it can incorporate drawings, stick-figures – it doesn’t really matter. Regardless of the approach you take – I guarantee it will help you in some way. Journal –up today: Best wishes: JBW

Comments

Popular Posts