How NOT to succeed in life ....

Finally, here it is … after much deliberation I’ve decided to let the cat out of the bag … and give you a foolproof plan on how to NOT succeed … in nearly any endeavour.
Simply follow these simple steps:

- DO NOT TAKE RISKS
- STAY THE SAFEST COURSE - ALWAYS
- WEIGH UP ALL THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES OF ANY PLANNED ENDEAVOUR AND   
  ALWAYS ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION
- AND AGAIN … DO NOT TAKE RISKS!!

Seriously though … risk-taking is not for everyone. It is only for those who want something OTHER than an ordinary life. There is a lot to be said for always taking the conservative path, for always erring on the side of caution … you can live a very pleasant life that way; just don’t expect anything too extraordinary to come your way.

Most of the more interesting and successful people I know are risk-takers. They note the possible outcomes (good and bad) and tend to ‘jump anyways’. I think that risk-takers instinctively know - deep in their DNA - that nothing extraordinary comes from taking ordinary action. I know this to be true - I have always known it - and often (many, many times) have been advised against taking risks. I have not caught ten pound trout by fishing within easy walking distance of the road - I have not learned BJJ by sticking with my local TKD school down the road - I have not been able to buy the land and build the house of my imagination by going the usual route in the organisation of my finances. 

I travelled when I SHOULD have been working a job - I trained when I should have been studying for exams - I bought a house when I was unemployed and couldn’t afford it - I bought shares when others were selling - I sold shares when others were all buying - I ran while others walked - I went forward when others ran - I put myself into a myriad of situations that were uncomfortable, risky, even dangerous … and for the most part, it has all worked out really well.

Risk-taking is something that is for the most part - widely discouraged. I think this is sad. In times past - a boy didn’t become a man until he took risks - until he went through some sort of rite of passage that involved risk. Risk-taking is how opportunities are seized - and squeezed. That is something that a good martial arts culture should embrace - the idea that risk-taking should be rewarded, and not penalised. 

For me … life is simply too short to not take risks. I want to live (and have so far) an extraordinary life … one replete with adventure and exceptional outcomes. And there is no doing that - without taking a few risks.


JBW

Comments

Popular Posts