Celebrate the Different

One of my favourite quotes - from german philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer - "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - and Ghandi said a similar thing - "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win".

I recall when I was trying my best to cobbled together 'stand-up', takedowns and groundwork back in the early 80's ... to be it was self-evident but the martial arts community did not agree. Howe times change.

The majority of people like their world-view 'set in stone' - most people will reflexively argue for the world-view - and most people don't like things coming out of left field. As the prodginy of a long line of ancestors who abhorred risk ... it seems we have a reflexive distrust of anything 'new'.

I applaud and celebrate the outlier ... these are the people make changes in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts